Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oddly -- my favorite time of year

It's bad form to say this at this time of year, but I don't like shopping. I do it. I buy holiday gifts for my children, my husband, my friends and about a score of great nieces and nephews (family traditions die hard -- even when the family grows geometrically), but I love one of my December projects -- and it only involves a little shopping in my favorite kind of store. Yes, I get to shop in a book store for my library's Best Gift Ever program. We collect new, unwrapped (see how easy this is) books for underprivileged children. I get to box them up and deliver them to the distribution point. People love it. I get to skim children's books my own children are too old to want to read -- and I get to give them to children. It's a life altering task. I don't know if it does anything for the kids (though I'm guessing the books do make the recipients smile), but it does wonders for me. I am very fortunate that I'm able to donate to a number of causes. Usually I just write a check. I also put coins in Salvation Army collection buckets. I also give of my time. But there's something about shopping for a book and placing it in the collection box that makes me appreciate all I have. Maybe it's thinking about reading those books to my children, or wishing I still had little ones around the house who wanted to hear them. Or maybe it's because I really do believe that a book is the best gift ever.

So this holiday season give a book, and read a book, and celebrate in whatever way makes this holiday season special for you.

No comments: