Wednesday, December 17, 2008

the integrity of blogs

Its been about six months since I've blogged, so I pretty much know that I don't have a following. Nevertheless, if anyone read this, here's my view on the blogosphere.

You will note that Lines from Libraryland is not authored anonymously like so many others. I started out in journalism school, and there I learned about truth and libel, about objectivity and subjectivity, and about fairness. If I'm going to write something, I'm going to put my name on it -- and stand behind it. If proven wrong, I will admit my mistake.

Yet many bloggers seem to think that they can write anything -- without substantiation. Otherwise responsible newspapers -- newspapers who would never allow anonymous letters to the editor (they even double check with writers when the letters are signed) are now encouraging anonymous comments to their news articles. Where's the journalistic integrity? Where's any kind of integrity?

Then, we have bloggers who seemingly report the news. But have they researched anything? Have they checked their sources? Yes, I do think spouting opinions masked as news is irresponsible and frankly, at times, despicable. And especially so for librarian bloggers who professionally probably pride themselves on offering access to all sides of issues.

So that's my opinion. Thank you!

No comments: