Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week #1

     My first week at Franklin Public Library was harrowing. Now, I must be clear. Nothing untoward occurred. It was just three days of non-stop activity, a blur of strangers I really must get to know, and travel routes that are not yet familiar.
     Did I mention I only worked three days?  The days were packed and long.  My first day, I attended a Friends of the Library meeting in the evening.  My second evening was filled with a Common Council meeting. The City Budget was on the agenda. The third day was shorter -- just nine hours.  I met a business man whose company sponsored an event from which a sizable donation was made to the Friends of the Library.
     And I was given a whole bunch of logins and passwords.  Now if I can remember which login goes with which password -- and the sites to which those combinations will give me access.  I don't have high hopes.
     I think I know my way around the library, though I don't yet know everyone who works there. I've smiled at patrons, and even helped a couple, but there is so very much to learn.
     I am grateful that the calendar is helping me out with a couple days to reflect. It is the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles, a Jewish Thanksgiving, and I have so many things for which to give thanks! Next week, too, will be a three day workweek as we celebrate Shemini Atzeret and Simchas Torah, the first simply, the Eighth Day Festival because it is so difficult to reach the end of a holiday period, and the second, a day to rejoice in the Torah, rejoice in the Law, and all that we have been given by G-d. And I certainly think G-d has had a hand in all the good things happening in my family now.
     So now it's Saturday night. I'm trying to get a handle on the week that's passed and try to plan the week ahead.  Sunday I'm attending a lecture at the Milwaukee Public Library, then another short week at Franklin Public Library. There are several things I want to accomplish, but I know better, at this point, than to plan. Maybe it's best that I continue looking and listening, and trying to integrate a new way of doing things. 
     I've worked under five directors, but all at Manitowoc Public Library. I though the variety of leaders gave me a variety of organizational experiences, but what I did not consider is that while the directors changed, the infrastructure remained the same. What I am finding in Franklin is that the budget is organized differently, the relationship between the library and the library system is different, and the relationship between the library and the city is different. I have a lot to learn. 
     Different, not wrong. Monday is my first Library Board of Trustees meeting, and I am so looking forward to seeing some of the trustees again and meeting the rest for the first time. And learning from them. This is an exciting time. I've been given an exciting opportunity. I plan to make the best of it.
     Now if only I can find a way to get to work that does not involve following a school bus.
    

1 comment:

Erica Strauss said...

I'm excited for you, Rachel, as you begin this new chapter in your professional life!