Sunday, August 4, 2013

Access to information

As a librarian, I talk often about access to information.  After all, libraries aren't just about books anymore.  Actually, we haven't been for quite awhile.  At your local public library you can find newspapers, magazines, music CDs, movies on DVD, toys, artwork, seeds, and much, much more.

Today, while enjoying myself at a community picnic, replete with salads, desserts, charred meat, and lots of good friends, I spied a nook e-book reader on the table.  Of course, I asked if the owner knew he could check out books from the library.  He didn't, so I took out my smart phone and showed him how we could do it via Overdrive!

Then, the conversation turned to languages, I had the opportunity to promote Mango Languages, on online language tutorial also available through the library.  Again, I demonstrated the site on my phone.  That lead to a lively discussion about different methods of teaching languages. 

Do I think libraries will maintain their viability in this electronic age?  Absolutely!  Libraries provide essential resources -- for everyone -- regardless of ability to pay.  Not only are libraries viable in the information age, but they keep the people in our communities viable as well.

Who knew munching on hamburgers, potato salad and home-made kosher dill pickles would lead to a blog about libraries.  I guess anything is possible in the information age!


No comments: