Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Talking Books

I came by my second career naturally. I'm a reader; I came from a house full of readers; and I live in a house full of readers. It's a good life.

By the way, the word for today is "swivet." It's a noun meaning a state of extreme agitation. I've got to find a way to fit this one into conversation. Actually, I can use a couple of my new words in the same paragraph: I'm in a swivet trying to determine what I need to access to successfully navigate my online course. Maybe I will be gruntled by the support of my classmates.

Yes, "gruntle" is another of the new words introduced to me by my Page a Day Calendar. We've all been using disgruntled forever. I suppose "gruntle" was just a matter of time.

Anyway, one of the things I really enjoy is talking books. I email friends and family with book recommendations, and here at the Library I stop people in the halls and stacks to share a favorite title. A friend recently recommended Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish, and now I am recommending it to you. What a marvelous book about women and their friendships! Occasionally the language is a little blue, but it's real. It combines vignettes of real life with a real life fantasy of many women -- just getting away for awhile.

So pour yourself a cup of your favorite beverage, curl up on a comfy sofa or chair, spread a blanket across your lap, and open Kris Radish's book. And when you're done, call a friend!

No comments: