Thursday, December 27, 2007

A New Word -- Cybrarian

I received a gift for the holidays, a Merriam-Webster 365 New Words-a-Year Calendar. Now, I know it's not 2008 yet, so I must admit that I look ahead -- plus the word I'm about to share with you was advertised on the box.

Our word for the new year is "cybrarian." It is a noun meaning, "a person whose job it is to find, collect, and manage information that is available on the World Wide Web."

It is the word for the day January 21, 2008. We'll have to start using it in conversation. "When I need information at two in the morning, I will have to log onto my computer to chat with a cybrarian." Since I'm going back to school, that's a sentence I may actually use.

I'll let you know if I come across other fun words to add to our vocabularies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the word for today?

Anonymous said...

Cybrarian--what a cool term! Would you call someone who always wants to know the reason behind everything a "whybrarian"?
Tracey Johnson